Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Our House Guests



Last year 2 doves built a nest in a hanging planter on our porch. The doves sat on their egg for several weeks and then finally the egg hatched. A few days after the egg hatched we noticed the baby dove did not make it (dead baby bird in the nest= not a pretty sight). We had named the parent doves Priscilla and Elvis and we were very sad for them when they lost their baby, they were true "mourning doves". I did a little research online after the chick died and found that the doves could return and nest again. Well, for the past few weeks we have thought Priscilla and Elvis were back as they started building a nest under one of the eves on our house. Today we saw something very exciting, there are 2 baby doves in the nest and they appear to be alive and well. I am not a bird person but I have to say doves seem very sweet. Did you know the dad sits on the nest the majority of the time although both parents take turns and share the responsibility of keeping the egg warm. Isn't that sweet. I was able to get some pictures of our houseguests today. I don't know if that is mom or dad with the babies but they sure are cute. I don't know how long they will stay but we will put up with the "extra" bird droppings on our driveway until they decide to fly away.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brooke and Brandi said...

Hi there! I've been keeping up on your "goings on" for a while now. Rebecca's blog has a link to it. I love this story. Dove's do mate for life. I had a friend who had the same dove's return each year for about 5 years then one year only one of the dove's returned and the other waited and waited. OH I was so sad. You will be looking for them each year now, watch. Sydney can be the look out! Haa..

8:17 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Yes, your mom must love the new house guest. For some reason this post made me think of that song
:when doves cry: no reason, tho.
I want to see them.

10:38 PM  
Blogger The G Family said...

Too funny Becca, after I posted it I thought, oh, I should have titled it When Doves Cry...Great mids think alike!!

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Welcome to our blog. We are an average family of 4 dealing with life's struggles and living one day at a time. Thanks for visiting!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Cole & Avery
Hot House Momma

Breast Cancer Site
Cheeky Jewelry
Kevin Russell
Komen.org
Norcal Beagles

Much Fun In The Wilderness
She's So Inspiring
My Boys
Must Celebrate
Pics From The Komen Race
Waiting On Pictures
Something Nice to Look At
Very Disappointed
News and Excitement
Headstands

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics